Developing Parenting Practices
Over time you will develop your parenting practices that will enhance Baby's development.
- As well as meeting Baby's physical needs, providing loving interactions and consistently being sensitive and responsive to Baby is a major starting point to developing a companionable relationship with him/her (discussed in Bonding and Beyond).
- Protect baby from harm and injury (discussed in Babies' Safety).
- Develop routineness within the caregiving day (discussed in Shaping the Day).
- Put some balance into daily life with Baby by ensuring there is time for fun and relaxation (discussed in Shaping the Day).
- Have social contact with others, go on outings and develop friendships with other parents who you enjoy as company (discussed in Parenting: From the Beginning → Social Support and Parenting).
- Consistently guide Baby. Support her development by providing opportunities to learn through play and exploring her environment. Ease her frustrations as she learns to cope with life in a 'big world' (discussed in Development and Learning → The 'How To' Guide).
- Establish family rituals and traditions as discussed Next.